Sunday, February 18, 2024

A Proper Full-Body Warmup

Creating a warm-up is not rocket science, although some make it out to be. Since many of my workouts are 'full body' sessions (I snatch and bench press on the same day), I have created a full body warmup that I think can work for basically everyone. Here it is:

Light Cardio (Reverse Incline Treadmill/Reverse Bike): 5-10 mins

Increases core body temperature to loosen stiff joins and break a sweat. I find that wearing a hoodie during the colder months or in the morning also helps me break a sweat before lifting.

Couch Stretch: 30-60 secs/leg

Good warmup for the hip flexors. I have talked about tight hip flexors before; a problem that occurs due to too much sitting, which places the flexors in a constant shortened position. Stretching them before lifting fixes this problem temporarily to get you through your workout.

T Spine Foam Rolling: 2 mins total

I lay on a bench with a foam rolling on my back and roll it across my lower and upper spine. I keep the roller on a vertebrate on my spine, and then flex and extend my abs for a couple of reps. Then I move up to the next vertebrate, and do the same thing. Good spinal mobility.

Back Extension: Add slight weight for 1 set of 15-20 reps

I like to hold onto a light plate whilst I warmup my posterior chain with full range of motion back extensions, really emphasize that hamstring stretch.

Band Facepulls: As many sets required, 15-20 reps per set

Every time I have had a nagging shoulder issue during squats or presses, doing a quick set of band facepulls and external rotations does the trick. Adding these as a warmup and even between sets of squats and/or presses will go a long way in building up rotator cuff strength which will promote longevity, given the rotator cuffs are a very common problem area.

Weighted Side Plank: 2 x 30 secs/side

I like side planks as a warmup since they help me feel my core and help me practice bracing my core. I like adding weight via a dumbbell on my hip. Other bracing drills like dead bugs or the McGill Big 3 can work here as well, but I like the loading component here.

3rd World Squat: 2 mins

Zack Telander made a great video on squat mobility. Essentially, mobility for the back squat is as simple as sitting in a deep squat position every day for 5 minutes total. One should aim to stay in this position unsupported (ie. do not hold onto a support) and at full depth (hips below the knees) for all 5 minutes. As a warmup, I like wiggling around in this bottom position and adding some kang squats at the end. I do 2 minutes during my warmup, and then do the other 3 minutes before I go to bed.

This is a great warmup I have used for the large bulk of my training, composed of movements that I genuinely think make a difference. This shouldn't take more than 15 mins total, and you should be ready for any strength training in your way.

~Prem

No comments:

Post a Comment