Sunday, February 18, 2024

Quick Tip: Justify Adjustments

When you change your training program, imagine that you have to justify the changes to a five year old. Could you do that? One of my clients once asked me if he could add in some additional exercises at the end of his strength training session. I asked him why. He couldn't provide a sound response, let alone explain it simply to a five year old. Instead, adding on that additional work would've wasted his time since by that point in the workout, he was mentally fried and fatigued. If anything, it would've hurt his recovery a bit more.

I always tell people to do less. You can never go wrong doing less. Just do the basics. This is a point that I continuously beat to death, and I'm sure you've heard me say it in other posts. The basics are the best. Instead of hyper-obsessing on exercise selection, use that time to get in some sleep and train hard. Train consistently. Eat intelligently. The best athletes in every sport got to where they are because they mastered the basics of their sport. If you're a sprinter, master sprinting. Master plyometrics, and master squats, power cleans, and RDLs. If you're a climber, master boulders, master pullups, and master campus boards. Only make changes to the basics IF you can justify those changes!

~Prem

No comments:

Post a Comment