Saturday, April 20, 2024

Do Not Combine Programs

I always see intermediate lifters or athletes attempting to combine programs. This includes trying bodybuilding and weightlifter, or lifting and running, or bodybuilding with some other sport.

This type of training is theoretically possible. However, combining two, separate, stand-alone programs into one and doing them both is a stupid idea. A stand-alone program (either one made by me, or any other reputable coach) is most likely made to be run in isolation. This means that it is designed assuming that you are not doing any other training. If you do decide to do any other training, it will impact progress on a stand-alone program. A stand-alone program as very specific percentages, reps and periodization that can be impossible to follow if you are fatigued from training elsewhere.

The best way to train for multiple goals is NOT to combine two programs, but to have one program that accounts for two training goals. For example, when I train sprinters, I include both track training and weight room training. However, I program the weight room training differently than compared to a weightlifter since I need to consider fatigue from actual sprinting.

Plus, I always recommend my athletes to train for one goal. Just one. Training for two or more goals will not let you master any of them. 

~ Prem

No comments:

Post a Comment