Tuesday, December 19, 2023

Training Methodologies: The Western System

I am beginning a short series of blogs explaining different sport periodization models for different countries. Today, I thought I'd begin with the model that I currently use and the one I think is the best: traditional Western block periodization.

I guess I should start off with a definition for periodization. The official definition of periodization is the "planned manipulation of training variables (load, sets, and repetitions) in order to maximize training adaptations and to prevent the onset of overtraining syndrome" (according to the NIH). Basically, athletes cannot train heavy all year round, so their training must be broken up into weeks of less intense training, and weeks of more intense training, so that these athletes can make progress. 

So, what is Western periodisation? Essentially, western periodisation is linear block periodisation. The initial blocks (each of which last about 3-4 weeks, since this is the minimum amount of time required for adaptation) focus on higher volumes of work with lower intensities. As the weeks progress, the later blocks focus on less volumes of work with higher intensities, until the athlete eventually reaches a peak week. This progression over weeks is also accompanied by rising specificity as the peak gets closer. This is the system I have observed mainly in the United States and Australia, but also applies to Canada and the United Kingdom. 

Why is this system my favourite? Firstly, its simple and easy to program. Second, it has been observed to work well in both scientific literature and in practice. Thirdly, it is sustainable and is designed to minimise injury (unlike some other models...). As a result, I use this system for all of my training and for all of my clients.


No comments:

Post a Comment