Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Reworking My Warmups and Rehab work!

So I was going to change my warmup and rehab protocols because of new problems I would like to address. So I thought I would take you through the process of redesigning your supplemental work.

Firstly, here is my new warmup:

1. Steady State Cardio: 5 mins max, stationary bike: I used to do cardio as a warmup on the treadmill, only to later realize this likely contributed to the knee pain I have in my right knee (likely patellar). So I switched over to the stationary bike. The stationary bike is also really good for specifically warming up the quads, which is necessary for any weightlifter.

2. Foam Rolling: I've always done foam rolling, and I stand by the fact that it is an easy way to get in some soft tissue work and boost recovery a bit.

3. Leg Extension isometric: I hold my leg at a 45 degree isometric on the leg extension with some moderate weight for at least 45 seconds (several studies support this, including this study). This is to address my knee pain and warm up the quads and knees as well. I used to do isometric lunge holds, but I find these just more convenient and effective. 

4. Front Rack stretch: This is basically when I hold a barbell in the front rack position and flex and extend my upper back (the first exercise in this video). Good for warming up the wrists and the front rack position, as well as the T spine and lats.

5. Lu Raise complex: I hold some light plates out for an isometric and then perform some Lu raises with lighter weights. These warmup the shoulders for the overhead position. I used to do facepulls here, but my rotator cuff has become less of an issue now. Now, I prefer to focus on a strong overhead position with strong scapula. 

6. 3rd world squat: 2-3 mins with some weight: I sit in the bottom of a 3rd world squat for 2-3 mins. I've said this before a lot, but this is just a super specific way to warmup for weightlifting. I put the barbell on my knees for extra resistance. I've always done these as well, and I recommend them to every strength athlete.


Next, here is my revised rehab protocol that I do separately from my workouts at the end of the day:

1. Couch Stretch: I've moved these from my workouts into the rehab slot. I find that when I put these as a warmup, I do not spend enough time in the stretch. To actually make this stretch effective on the hip flexors, you have to sit in it for around 2 minutes or more.

2. Pancakes: This is to address my adductor mobility. I used to do a ton of mobility stretches for the glutes and hamstrings, but I've removed them since my mobility in these areas is already good. My adductors, on the other hand, have always been (and still are) constantly tight.

3. Single Leg Touchdown: Hands down, these are the single best exercise for knee rehab. I felt a difference after a few weeks of doing these on my right knee.

4. Lat Stretch: I do the second set of stretches presented in this  video. I started doing these to help my overhead position in the bottom of the snatch, which requires to hand to go behind the ears (ie. a large degree of lat mobility).

5. Overhead walks: I do these with a relatively heavier dumbbell to get stronger shoulders and to reinforce my overhead position. I also want to keep my elbow healthy as I have had some minor elbow issues in the past.

6. 3rd world squat (bodyweight) - 5 mins total: I do these for squat mobility. I used to do them banded, with a band around my knees. However, this really fatigued by adductors in about 1 minute, which meant I skipped the other 4 minutes of this movement. This movement needs to be done for a longer period of time to actually be effected, so I ditched the band and just do these bodyweight now.

~ Prem

No comments:

Post a Comment