Sunday, March 31, 2024

Always Leave Room To Scale

A concept I learnt from business is that you should always leave room for your company to scale. It is much better off the start small, and grow as your client base grows. I think the same can be applied to training.

It is always better to do less. Then, when you run into plateaus or cannot progress, you have available room to add in more work/volume to address issues. For example, when I first teach people the olympic lifts, I usually have them lift 4x a week. Then, when they get better and require more work to progress, I move them to 5x a week, and advanced lifters lift 6x a week. When I program accessories, I get people to do 1 accessory exercise per session. Once they have reaped all the benefit they can from that 1 exercise, we add 2, and slowly we may add 3. This is crucial as work capacity and the body's ability to progress will be significantly hindered if you go in 100% from the start. That's why we have beginner, intermediate and advanced programs in the first place; each program adds the least amount of work to still progress.

TLDR: Less is more. Give yourself room to add more volume into your training in the future as you get more advanced. Your future self will thank you.

~ Prem

No comments:

Post a Comment